Thursday, March 18, 2010

Everyday Learning

Sometimes I fall into the trap of thinking that learning only takes place when we sit down and "do school." In reality, my kids are learning all day long. I'm trying to be more aware of this, to notice all the wonderful things they do on their own! The projects, the artwork, the pretend play, the reading, the outdoor play ... I suspect all these things contribute just as much to their education as the more deliberate learning times that we have. Today before we sat down at the school table, Lucy had already read an adaptation of a classical novel (Dracula) and worked on putting together a crane with her erector set. Before lunch she went up to her room and worked on some art projects, and now she's out on a bike ride with daddy. I'm looking forward to seeing what she decides to do this afternoon, before she heads off to dance class.

No comments: